Friday, July 9, 2010

Rain, hills, Mexican, and movies

Today and yesterday were good weather days. It wasn’t raining, so I was able to walk to and from school both days. It’s about a 35-40 minute walk with plenty of hills, so it’s really good exercise. Yesterday, I decided to go for a run for the first time since getting here. I was a bit apprehensive since the roads are horrible (both in lack of sidewalks and crazy drivers), but I really had the urge to hit the pavement. I ran about 1.5 miles to the University of Costa Rica sports complex, ran around there (about another mile) and ran home. I just about made it home when it started to drizzle. No kidding, as soon as I got into the garage it started to pour. The run was challenging because of the roads, the air climate (not polluted, but thinness), and the hills.

Today after school we went to a Mexican restaurant near school (not my idea). I had a chicken quesadilla, but instead of shredded chicken, it was chunks. Not the best. After that, I met up with my friend Katie and her roommate to go see a tican movie called “A Ojos Cerrados.” It was a short movie, only about an hour, but really moving. It’s the story of an old man who lives with his wife and granddaughter until his wife dies suddenly. The title (Closed Eyes) refers to the man having his eyes closed almost all the time after his wife dies. It was unique because there wasn’t a ton of dialogue, but there was so much emotion in the facial expressions and the music. I highly recommend it.

The theater itself was so cold! Literally, my toes were frozen! Good thing I had a long sleeved shirt in my purse! Maybe it seemed colder since it had air conditioning and no other place here does. The good news is that the seats were so comfortable. They were plush, rocked back, and had TONS of leg room. The best part, however, was the cost. It was 1500 colones to see the movie, which is about $2.50. Not bad for a first-run movie in a comfortable chair!

No comments:

Post a Comment